Monday, January 3, 2011

2006 - the garden beds take shape

Here are some images of the outcome of the retaining wall, with new garden beds established and things starting to take shape and look much prettier...







The top image shows the first planting - doesn't the space look much wider now due to it being leveled and topped with that gorgeous mulch. For the planting I chose bamboo - oh is that shrieks of horror I hear? I know, I know bamboo has such a bad reputation as it just spreads and spreads but I chose sensibly and selected a clumping, non-invasive bamboo. I just really like bamboo and wanted something tall but slender(ish) for that narrow side of the house. It was 5 plants that I divided into 10, a fernleaf stripestem bamboo from Mr Bamboo in Terrey Hills (I bought it before I left Sydney).

The pavers were purchased from a balinese-style garden centre that was closing down - they were sold to me as slate but I'm not 100% convinced this is the case and may be concrete pavers made to look like slate...oh well, they still look good...but guess what - neither the bamboo or the pavers were to stay here for very long, the paver's weren't necessary as it's not a path, there is not gate here to the back yard, it was more a dress-up thing I think but I found a much nicer use for the paver's around the back.

The top 4 images are of the same strip down the right-hand side of the house but taken from different angles and heights. The two that follow on from there show how I continued it down to the front boundary, digging up that patch of grass manually - phew, what a job. In that wider front garden bed I planted sweet scented wattles...but they didn't survive and have now been replaced - with what you ask...you'll just have to wait and see.

Oh...and my sequence is off a little again as I obviously had the new letterbox wall built before I filled in along the retaining wall. At the same time I had another wall built off the front of the house but more of that in the next post...just a few images of the back yard now with the new garden beds and more established turf once the retaining wall was finished...



The gap between mulch and lawn is where I was to lay brick-style pavers as edging. Along the fence line I planted Murraya's here too though they are much slower to grow than the ones planted at the same time along the opposite fence line (images later), probably competing with the two Banksia's plus they get less sun. At the front of the Murraya's I planted some Clivia's given to me by my mum, but I was to move these too. In the bigger section of garden bed (bottom of photo in bottom image) I planted daisies that I got from my neighbours garden...they soon took over and are still there but...you guessed it...they're coming out soon.

As with the front, the sequence is a little off here too as I can catch a glimpse of the pillars I had built for a garden structure I want down the back, plus what is to become the pond...I'll show these in the next post...signing off for now, but stay tuned.

PLANT FACTS:
  • Bambusa multiplex Fernleaf Stripestem: Common name - Fernleaf stripestem bamboo; Approximate size - 4mH x 1.5mW; Habit - compact and delicate foliage, NON invasive; Features - slender yellow and green striped stems; Conditions - semi-shade or full sun; Common uses - pot plant, garden, privacy screening.
  • Acacia Suaveolens: Common name - Sweet scented wattle; Approximate size - 03 - 3.5m; Habit - shrub; Features - blue-grey phyllodes (leaves) with cream ball-shaped flowers that are heavily scented; Conditions - prefers well-drained soil, sweet scented, long flowering period, low maintenance, resistant to salt spray; Common uses - low screen plant, occurs naturally in sandy soils in heathland and dry sclerophyll forests.
  • Murraya Paniculata: Common name - Orange jasmine; Approximate size - 3mH x 3mW; Habit - evergreen rounded shrub with rich green foliage; Features - highly perfumed white flowers; Conditions - prefers rich moist, well drained soil in sunny to part shade position, tolerates light frost; Common use - a decorative specimen tree for warm climate gardens, suited to formal gardens and also containers.
  • Clivia Miniata:  Common name - Clivia; Approximate size - 0.5mH x 0.4mW; Habit - evergreen clump-forming plant with long green strap-like leaves; Features - large heads of orange flowers and berries; Conditions - fertile, well-drained soil in dappled shade, tolerates light frost; Common use - good greenhouse container specimens, outdoors they are good grouped or as a border.

No comments: