Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2006 - some garden structures are constructed...

I'm not an accomplished gardener or landscape designer, definitely not an expert and so I didn't sit down and draw a detailed plan of how I wanted things to be, it was more organic...just evolving as I went along and still works pretty much like that. I just let time and experience dictate how it is to move forward, but this approach definitely comes with a lot of back-tracking and undoing and re-doing...but I'm not in a hurry.

I started with a general idea and have just been building on it from there. The concrete path that led to the Hills Hoist was now to become the base of a pond...I also wanted to erect a pergola at the bottom end of the garden, creating a point of interest and also hiding the clothes line. I also paved the back left-hand corner of the garden, to give good access to the clothes line and be a small area for an outdoor setting of some kind once the pergola was built...




The top image shows the pavers, dropped off in the front yard for me to barrow to the back...boy or boy was that alot of trips. From memory they are Boral pavers, brick-like and the colour is biscuit not biscute as written on the plastic! and there's my two cats Jed on the lower stack and Max on the higher stack, like a couple of lion kings >(*!*)< In the 2nd image you can see where I have stacked the pavers and also where I have started paving, I did it in a herringbone pattern and was quite pleased with the results considering this is the first time I'd ever attempted anything like this.

I like the vantage point from the back balcony as it takes in pretty much the whole back yard. Apart from where I started the paving you can see where I cleared under the Norfolk, the larger stuff was hauled out of the garden completely and cut down to be taken away by a council clean up...the more organic stuff was piled up to form a mound behind the pine tree and to break down over time. I was going to leave it there and create a mounded garden bed, but I changed my mind and currently I am in the process of removing it and distributing the now broken down matter in other parts of the garden. Under the Norfolk though looks so much nicer without patchy, weedy grass but with mulch instead, just pulls it all together and makes it look neater and unified.

You can also see the tiny weeny Murraya's in the back left-hand corner of the garden against the fence...five years later and they are now at fence height and forming a beautiful hedge (images later though). The curved garden bed has also been planted out and edged - this is where I moved the bamboo that was down the front right-hand side of the house but I was to lose a number of plants and be left with only four - though they are now fully established and growing beautifully (yes, images later). It is also evident that the grass is starting to go patchy and one of the reasons I eventually decided to take it up - I've decided I much prefer garden beds and path-ways.

So the pond is to have a liner (which I bought from the same Balinese-style garden centre that was closing down) but believe it or not, a few years on and I still haven't completed it. For two reasons, I know nothing about ponds and have to go on a big research mission and I need to get power out to it so I can run the filter and the pump...I'm pretty sure I need a filter and I definitely want a pump or two as I want the water to circulate and not attract mosquitos. I also want pond plants and fish, that will assist in the reduction of mosquitos.

ADVICE WELCOME: If anyone out there has a good degree of knowledge and experience with above-ground ponds then please feel free to pass on your advice as to how I go about it and what I need. I'm pretty sure it measures about 6mL x 0.5mH but of course I can measure it to be more precise.

The structures I had built at the front of the house, as mentioned in my last post, were the new letterbox wall and another low-line wall off the front of the house...





I was also working on the inside of the house at the same time and as you can see in the last image I changed over the window in the front downstairs room to a door with two windows either side. I also found the bench seat (sitting against the new low-line wall) at a local second-hand furniture store - it looks like something that would have been in a train station or on a ferry maybe...perhaps not made for outdoors but I've been using a protective stain on it and so far it's holding up pretty well - the most amazing thing was that the seat was the exact same length as the wall, what a fluke!

The next thing that was to take place was the removal of this weedy grass at the front, the front balcony got an overhaul and was extended to create an awning over the new doorway...but more of that in the next post.

No comments: