Friday, January 28, 2011

It's a matter of style...but which one?

I have to say I definitely favour an eclectic approach to design, whether it's interior or outdoors. I love so many different styles, Modern (but not too minimalist), Indian, Asian, Japanese, French provincial, Plantation, Shabby Chic, New York loft-style, Art Deco, Bauhaus, Mid-century modern...the list goes on. Each style has its own appeal for different reasons. I wasn't always like this...there was a time I used to loathe modern, mid-century modern, Asian and Japanese, for example but gradually I have come to like it all.

Some of my favourite architects (in no particular order) are Mies Van Der Rohe, Luis Barragan, Frank Lloyd Wright, Glenn Murcutt and Harry Seidler, just to name a few...

Needless to say when I think about an overall style I would like to achieve in my home and garden it is just about impossible and so it evolves organically and hopefully will all make sense in the end.

I LOVE losing myself in the pages of House and Garden magazines and also enjoy watching those make-over shows on TV...basically I love transforming anything from bland to beautiful, or seeing it done. When I have to bite the bullet and de-clutter my magazine stash, I always go through them and rip out any inspirational stuff.

So, from time to time I am going to share some of the 'looks' that I love...not necessarily that I will want to achieve here but those that allow my imagination to carry me away and I can lose myself in daydreams of what it would be like to have a garden that looked like this or that...

Sorry, I am unable to credit original source of following images as they were removed from magazines and there is no longer any reference.  
Above and below are the same garden, not so keen on the painting on the wall in the image below but apart from that I love the glow from all of the lanterns, as well as that middle-eastern influence. A place I would definitely like to lose myself...

 More lanterns...and they don't even have to be in the context of middle-eastern style as I think lanterns just work anywhere, as seen in the image below. The lanterns are very definitely middle-eastern but the space is more old English colonial / plantation style. I love the patina of age and the relaxed style of this space.

No comments: