Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday Selections :: 2

Last week's Sunday Selections was so much fun - thanks Kim over at Frogpondsrock for starting this. I met a bunch of new people through it and went visiting some new blogs which is always fun (though you can lose hours doing such things when you should be doing other stuff)...

Anyway, as a result of visiting Wanderlust and reading about Kristin's affinity with Australia - in particular, the outback I thought this week would be a good chance to show some images from Central Australia :)

Kata Tjuta
Kata Tjuta
On the road, Central Australia
Uluru
These photographs were taken on a trip to Central Australia in the mid 1990's. On a previous solo trip in the late 1980's, I have to admit I climbed the rock, which was an incredible experience. The second trip was with my partner at the time and instead of climbing Uluru we walked around the base. This was a truly amazing experience, spiritual almost in its silence, beauty and magnitude. It took a number of hours, we didn't rush - couldn't really with that heat and we didn't encounter another soul until almost at the very end.

On that second trip we also visited Kings Canyon, Edith Falls, Katherine Gorge and Hermannsburg among other places.

Originally taken with my Nikon SLR, they are all scanned photographs. A great deal of care and attention to detail has been taken to get the highest quality outcome possible...some are a little grainy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I feel for the most part they work OK.

More of these images can be found over at my flickr photostream :)

8 comments:

Wanderlust said...

Well goodness! You know I clicked on your blog and saw the pictures of Kata Tjuta and got excited before I even realized you linked to me. They are gorgeous. Hmmm... maybe that will be my Sunday Selection next week.

I also climbed Uluru when I was in my 20's (a looooong time ago) before I knew it was considered disrespectful. An incredible experience.

tiff(threeringcircus) said...

Fabulous! I've never been but I love the deep colours. I imagine it would be stunning.

frogpondsrock said...

Oh the colours of Central Australia are just Divine. thank you :)

Frangipan said...

These are amazing, Australia still seems like such a far-off, made-up place to me.

Carolina said...

I've never been to Australia. Wonderful photos. Such a different landscape from what we have here in the Netherlands.

Tenille @ Help!Mum said...

It's such a striking landscape; the contrast between the blue sky and red earth is just beautiful.

Jay at The Depp Effect said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos. I found the link interesting too. I knew that Uluru is considered sacred but not why.

I particularly like the road! Really seems to give a feel of the heat and loneliness of Australia's interior!

kinga @ blueloom said...

Gaby

I have always imagined Australia to be beautiful. This is amazing! Thanks for sharing. We hope to visit Australia and New Zealand one day.
Stop by this weekend, we have a special guest tonight.
Enjoy your weekend
Kinga