Sunday, July 29, 2012

Como Pleasure Grounds, NSW

Continuing on from here - located in the same area as the Marina and starting point for the bridge walk is the beautiful Como Pleasure Grounds.

This is another of my favourite finds because it is so beautiful in so many ways... for me as an artist / designer the abundant native flora and fauna (mostly birds) here is a wealth of inspiration - the location is stunning and the grounds have been laid out thoughtfully with play areas for children, picnic areas (including BBQ's and tables), benches to sit and take in the stunning views of the Georges River and surrounding bushland, pathways to explore, a 20m seasonal swimming pool (free), a shark-netted enclosure in the river as well and now there is even a cafe! It has everything!

Conceived by a wealthy individual named James Murphy he opened his 'pleasure ground' in 1885 with a clubhouse for German railway workers (now the historic Como Hotel). There was fair-ground type entertainment, a dance hall and paddle steamers ran river excursions as well.

What a wonderful history... to read more click here



The historic Como Hotel in the background

The knoll

Views out over the Georges River
Walking up onto the knoll


Some of the lovely picnic / BBQ areas

More of the picnic / BBQ areas

The playground




Can you see a little friend in the top right-hand corner of the image...
 










Above and below: you can see the Como to Oatley Bridge walk from here



Crazy people doing laps in winter

The Como Marina is nestled in to the left of this picture
Steps leading up to the newly opened Blackfish Cafe
The Blackfish cafe in the Como Pleasure Grounds
The Blackfish Cafe is another local eatery I have yet to try... but am sure I will.

So that's the Como Pleasure Grounds for you - really well worth a visit if you ever find yourself in the area. Even though I miss my 727m2 terribly, I am somewhat comforted to have easy access to such beautiful areas.

I think there's one more place in Como I can think to share but I haven't yet been there myself. Due the prolonged bout of flu I had recently and all the rain we've been having I haven't venture out with my camera again... so I will be light on posting here until I have more lovely things to share with you. After Como is complete I will start venturing further afield... I already have a number of places I want so share with you here so don't go too far away.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Beautiful photos, I love what you eyes see

River said...

The Knoll looks like a fabulous place to walk, climb, sit and I like that first photo, I've always liked big shady trees with seats under them.