Sunday, July 8, 2012

Carina Bay Reserve, (Como) NSW

I feel like I always start with an apology for having been absent from this blog... and I do so again.

It hasn't been as quiet and static behind the scenes - I've been busy here, here and every now and then here but also getting out and exploring my new surroundings... even though I was born in the Sutherland Shire and even though I've been back here just over a few months I still feel like I am discovering this area for the first time.

I've taken my camera out on walks and will share the images here over the next few weeks. Como really is a place of natural beauty and seemingly undiscovered (as much as anything can be in this day and age, in this city). I can only hope it remains that way...

Remember here I showed you images from the front of this property - looking down towards Carina Bay Reserve... well I went walking down there and it was like a little fairy land. On the other side of the reserve I found a row of dwellings along Carina Creek that can only be accessed by foot and also found a set of stone steps through the 'woods' that really are worth the climb. To access these you go through the car park, across the Carina Creek foot bridge, the row of houses is off to the right and the stairs are off to the left, they take you all the way up to Riverview Road. There is another path further to the left, along the creek in the other direction but I have yet to explore that one:

Google map - showing the lay of the land. Carina Bay Reserve is where the arrow is...
Entering Carina Bay Reserve via the car-park entrance.

I LOVE this random painting of Simba the cat stuck in the tree >(*!*)<
Carina Creek
Carina Creek

Carina Creek
Little fairy land - the few houses along Carina Creek, accessed by foot only...

As above...

As above...
 

Reaching the end of the path where the houses are.


The first of 173 steps that wind up through the 'woods'
Along a little straight stretch before more stairs...

A charming little cottage tucked away in the 'woods'
... then more stairs...
Climbing up...

... and up...
... and up...

... and up...

Time to catch your breath, absorb the beauty and head back down again.
Back in Carina Bay Reserve... which is a popular dog park.

1 comment:

River said...

I think it looks like a delightful place to live. The woods, and climbing all those stairs would keep a person fit too. I wonder about grocery shopping though. Lugging bags of groceries up all those stairs could be a problem. Is there no car access at all up there?