Sunday, January 6, 2013

Surviving progress - a charming weatherboard cottage

I love architecture and I love gardens... I have no particular favourite style... I love anything from historic weatherboard cottages to über modern houses, stone cottages to Spanish villas... the same goes for gardening styles too... and I love seeing people putting their own stamp on their properties, when it's done well and tastefully!

Back here I mentioned that I wanted to do a little series of local homes and gardens... I've been busy snapping some of my favourites and will share them here one at a time... starting today :)






 


This beautiful cottage is perfect in so many ways... what I realised I haven't captured is the generous walkway up to the front door on the right... the paving takes you through the most delightful rustic iron gate, kind of a little rusty, kind of like in a french villa... not an ornate, intricate lace iron gate but simplistic and open format...

I love how the house nestles nicely into its sloping site and how the landscaping works so well with this... it is a very well thought-out design and would make for very comfortable living.

The garden plantings work so well with a mixture of formal boxed hedges, shrubs and strappy leaf plants. I also like how there is a mix of sandstone and rendered walls and how the driveway is paved and not concrete... how the lawn slopes down gently to meet it... and how the garage blends perfectly even though I'm sure it would not have been a fixture with the original cottage as certainly the cottage pre-dates cars? I wouldn't normally go for the dusky pink colour but have to say it works quite well here, it pushes the house into its surroundings just enough without making it look drab or disjointed... it works really well with the colours of the garden and I particularly like the subtle hints of pink flowers that connect it all together so well.

I wonder if this cottage was moved here or if it is an original... it would be interesting to find out its history. Whatever its story I'm glad to see it has survived progress and was not demolished to make way for a more modern construction. It's nice when people preserve history and do such a good job in the process.

What about you... do you have a particular favourite style of architecture or gardening?

1 comment:

River said...

It's a very pretty cottage and garden.
I like houses that are built to fit the block of land instead of the traditional cut and fill method which is cheaper and easier for builders but causes trouble in later years when the ground settles more and more.