Saturday, January 19, 2013

The sunny cottage

Carrying on from the previous two posts on local houses and gardens, this week I only have two images to show but hopefully they say enough... and reflect why this is up there with my favourite properties.



I think the 2nd image captures the essence of the garden better (just ignore the garbage bins)... believe me it is even more beautiful in real life. I think its the simplicity I like, the cottage seems original, fibro perhaps, but the small hints of the modern tidy it up and make it just that more appealing... the glass balustrade, the slatted timber fence, the modern front door BUT it's the garden that steals my heart!

I love everything about the garden even though I know in real life it might be a pain to climb those stairs in the pouring rain or with bags of groceries. Even though the house doesn't nestle into the landscape, in this instance it dominates the hill top position but the garden softens it, blending it into the landscape more as it gently climbs up to meet the house. Clearly it is well lit at night with the modern light posts dotting the sandstone stairway... and I think the favourite part for me is the rock garden, the use of those big boulders and how they have been planted out with what appears to be native grasses and shrubs.

It's a sunny cottage and makes me feel that way inside every time I walk past.

2 comments:

River said...

It does look sunny and open. I like the solar lights up the stairway and the rockeries. I couldn't live there though, not with all those steps. I'm strictly a ground level person now.

Annie said...

I love your writing about these places. This could be a good book!