Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Gorgeous winter wattle

I took my camera out on a walk this morning as I've been seeing these amazing winter wattles in flower everywhere and just had to capture some of the magic!












Isn't it just spectacular! It's the Acacia Podalyriifolia or the Queensland Silver Wattle: a perennial, fast-growing tree which is widely cultivated. It is an Australian native but is also naturalised in Malaysia, India, Africa and South America.

I hate cutting plants but I'm thinking of cutting some of this so I can get a good section to draw, incorporating all the parts that make up the plant - the buds, the flowers and the leaves - as I'm seeing a textile design developing here...

1 comment:

River said...

It's so golden and sunny! Really makes winter seem a little more cheery. That second photo looks like the lemon scented wattle I like so much.