Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Feathered Friends - Rainbow Lorikeets








With all the beautiful Bottle Brush in bloom at the moment we have several rounds of birds visiting during the morning and afternoon to feast...

In early September I shared these images of the lovely Crimson Rosellas but the Bottle Brush was not yet in bloom so I'm not sure if they are still coming, I'll have to keep a closer look out.

I used my zoom lens again and this time went down off the balcony to get closer to them... they were quite wary and flew away a couple of times (and I felt bad for interrupting their dinner!) but they kept coming back and I even got one of them sitting on the wire.

I love them all and feel so fortunate to have captured these images but my absolute favourite is the 3rd one down from the top. This image needed no fine tuning in Photoshop... it is as it is and the colours are so rich and deep and the position of the bird is perfect (even tough I would have really liked to get his tail in)...

I can see some artwork coming from this... and all my recent bird photos... but I probably won't get the time until January when all is quiet on the front after the Christmas trading period... for now I'm keeping very busy over at Pinch River!

2 comments:

River said...

Hello gorgeous bird!
I love that third photo where you got in so close. I've not managed to get that close, they fly away when I get within a few metres and hide in the branches if I try to zoom in on them.

Gabriella Tagliapietra said...

Hi River... yes, they are very wary - which is a good thing for their own safety but I just wish they knew I was friend and not foe :) I won't give up...